Burnley Women U16s Cup Final

25th April 2019 

Lancashire FA’s County Ground played host to a well contested Under-16’s Final between Blackburn & Darwen Girls and Burnley FC Women. The underdog Clarets were able to walk away with heads held high after a hard-working performance, but unfortunately two goals midway through the first half denied them the chance to lift the trophy at the end of the night.

Blackburn & Darwen started the game strongly, dominating possession and showing their composure in the early exchanges of the match. The size of the occasion was clearly on the minds of the Burnley players, as they struggled to get a footing in the game early on.

Blackburn started to look more threatening as the game went on, rattling the crossbar with just over 10 minutes played. They continued to control the game, using the full width of the pitch to stretch the Burnley defence as much as they could.

The deadlock was broken at the midway point of the first half, as one of the Blackburn players found room on the edge of the box to expertly shoot into the top corner, leaving Dee with no chance in the Clarets goal.

The wind was truly behind Blackburn now and they doubled their lead just minutes later, after the Clarets were only able to partially clear the danger from a corner. The ball found its way back into the centre of the box, where it was headed into the far corner beyond the crowd of bodies in the penalty area.

The flow of the game was disrupted by a lengthy stoppage following an injury to Clarets midfield Fran, putting an end to her involvement in the game, with the half time whistle brought a close to proceeding with the Clarets trailing 2-0.

The second half provided a much more even contest, with the Clarets finally finding their stride and causing problems for their opponents. As the half progressed the game become more open, with both teams looking to threaten, and the Clarets forcing several corners.

Burnley had their best chance of the game midway through the half, with forward Grace showing good feet to turn a defender in the penalty area before curling the ball wide of the far post. Every player continued to battle right until the final whistle, continuing to push forward in hope of grabbing a goal and something for the travelling support to cheer.

In the end, neither team was able to find a breakthrough in the second half, with Blackburn & Darwen holding on to their first half lead to secure the trophy. The Burnley players walked off the pitch having given everything, proud of having come so far in the competition. Thank you to everyone who came out to support the girls on their big night.