Burnley FC Women v Hull City Ladies FC

Women’s FA Cup Second Round

Padiham FC’s Arbories Ground (Ruby Civil Arena)

Sunday 8th December 2019

 An impressive performance by Burnley FC Women’s goalkeeper Lauren Bracewell and two goals by Sarah Greenhalgh clinched victory in the team’s first game of this season’s Women’s FA Cup.

The Claret Women entered the competition with the other 23 teams that make up the FA Women’s National League at the second round proper. Their elevated league status allowed them to evade four qualifying rounds and the first round proper.

Hull City Ladies have had a difficult start to the league season but put on a commanding first half performance in this encounter. The game started at a frantic pace with the Clarets first on the offensive before Hull responded with a long ball forward where Cara Bickett chased down the threat.

An early chance from the Clarets resulted when a nicely weighted cross from Dani Cooper was met in front of goal by Evie Priestley. She did not connect well with the ball and her attempt ran wide.

Hull started to hold the Clarets in a defensive position at the bottom of the slope. Following a corner, Hull City’s Helen Lynskey turned and shot from 10 yards producing a sharp reaction from Bracewell who superbly tipped the ball over.

Hull City continued to control the game by winning many of the midfield battles and taking advantage of a strong wind that had developed. The Clarets conceded a goal after a back-pass was chased down by eager Hull strikers and Bracewell did not have space to clear. A defection fell to striker Harley Skinner who shot into an open net.

In the latter stages of the half the Clarets got back into the game, a Sarah Agger pass through to Sarah Greenhalgh set her on a one on one with the keeper who made a brave blocking save.

Hull replied and tested Bracewell at her near post where she dived to push the ball out for a corner, but the Clarets got a much-needed equaliser when Kenedy Owen played a long pass through to Levi Rathburn who ran at the keeper forcing a desperate clearance. The ball fell nicely to Greenhalgh, who lobbed over the defence from 20 yards into the open net.

The second half proved a much tighter affair, Evie Priestley had an early chance snuffed out by a fast-moving defender and Emily Smith for Hull, forced Bracewell to make another spectacular save when she shot from distance. A striker evaded an off-side decision to get a shot off and again Bracewell reached out to make a crucial save.

The Clarets had the final say in the match as Kenedy Owen was again on hand to flick a ball through the midfield for Greenhalgh to chase down and shoot past the Hull keeper. Final score 2-1 and passage for the Clarets into the third round.

In the third round Burnley FC Women have been drawn against Nottingham Forest Women FC and the game is to be played on Sunday 5th January at Padiham FC’s Ruby Civil Arena.

Next Sunday the Clarets Women again play Hull City Ladies at home in the FA Women’s National League and hope they can repeat the victory.

Burnley FC Women’s Reserves

The Burnley FC Women Reserves team have found life difficult in the FA Women’s National League Reserves division but have started to gain some good results lately.

Having won two of their last four games with only one defeat last week to Hull City Reserves in the cup they travelled the long distance to again play Hull City Reserves. The away game in the League saw them notch up a resounding 9-0 win! Bethany Waring struck a hattrick and both Jade Foster and youngster Grace Turner scored a brace. Ami Phelan got another as did Reanna Fennell who was playing only her second senior game since turning sixteen.