Burnley FC Women v Liverpool Feds LFC

FA WNL Division 1 North

The Arbories Memorial Sports Ground – Padiham FC

27th January 2019

Burnley FC Women notched up another league win on Sunday against Liverpool Feds LFC. Leah Embley and Dani Cooper were on target in the 2-0 win that continues the Clarets dominance of the FA Women’s National League Division 1 North.

Burnley FC Women know only too well that there are no easy games at this level and Liverpool Feds proved this as they came close to scoring on more than one occasion and could have snatched points in the encounter.

The Clarets started with a charge at the Liverpool Feds goal, Leah Embley and Emily Wilkinson made a good early impression before the Feds responded when they broke forward. Their striker Carla Lee turned the Clarets defence and shot close to goal, but Clarets keeper Lauren Bracewell was well positioned to save.

The Feds had another close chance as the ball was slotted through close to Bracewell’s left post. Nicola Shirtcliffe was forced into a hasty defensive clearance as strikers swooped to intercept. The Clarets were being easily matched in what had become a very open game.

The deadlock was broken on 36 minutes when a Bracewell goal kick was headed on by Lynette Craig. Embley collected and cut past the high defensive line and raced towards goal pursued by the defenders. She struck her shot inside the near post before the keeper could close the angle down.

The goal gave the Clarets the impetus to push forward and go for a second goal. The best effort in the remaining minutes saw Embley and Lizzy Hamer working together to feed the ball forward to Evie Priestley. She turned and shot at goal, but the Feds keeper read her mind and collected the ball.

In the second half the Clarets came under sustained pressure as the visitors attacked down the slope. A corner kick was headed wide at the front post, a freekick proved difficult to clear and Bracewell had to pull down and smother a high shot.

The Clarets responded with a vengeance when Hamer collected a short goal kick and fed the ball back into the penalty area where Priestley tried to latch on to shoot but was blocked off, then Embley collected and passed wide to Hamer. She crossed close to goal and players from both sides scrambled for possession before a Feds defender knocked the ball out for a corner.

More mayhem followed as the corner kick passed across goal and a Clarets shot was superbly saved by the diving Feds keeper. As the ball ran free another shot was blocked by a defender on the goal line and a follow up was deflected before a final shot was also blocked on the goal line.

As the half progressed the game remained open. The Feds took a corner that landed dangerously, and a shot was blocked on the 6-yard line before the ball was scrambled to safety.

Sarah Greenhalgh made her return to the side as a substitute having recovered sufficiently from injury. She was quickly in action as she fed a ball through to Embley who paced down the wing then in towards goal but was tripped on the edge of her area. The free kick was floated towards goal but was collected by the Feds keeper before the Clarets could make a challenge.

The Feds did not trouble the Clarets too much in the latter stages as the Clarets defenders Sammy Fleck and Captain Jo Holt worked tirelessly to protect the clean sheet, though the Feds did have a couple of shots from distance.

Victory was sealed in the second minute of stoppage time when Greenhalgh set fellow substitute Dani Cooper off on a run towards goal where she shot from the edge of the area beating the keeper.

A last attempt by the Feds to reduce the deficit was quickly smothered by Bracewell after she pulled down a high cross but was unable to hold it as she fell to the ground.

At the final whistle the Clarets had muted celebrations knowing there are still nine league games remaining in which they must continue their focus and work ethic to prevent a change of fortune.

Next Sunday Burnley FC Women play Leeds United Women at the Leeds United Training Ground at Wetherby. Kick-off is 3pm.

Photos credited to Burnley FC.